Kumu Gupta sent along her thoughts on the presidential election:
With elections in just a few days, I wonder which factor will make a difference in putting the right candidate in the White House – would it be :
1. Progeny – given that Barack Obama is related to VP Dick Cheney , though a very distant connection, they say its in the genes.
2. Astrology – many people believe that your fate is pre determined by the star under which you are born, i.e.- is your ruling planet in the house of leadership or do you have a fiery temper, etc.
3. Race – is the country ready for an African American to lead or will the nation, as some in the media suggest, make the familiar and traditional choice of their ancestors.
4. What the times demand – or is it the person with the ‘perceived’ best ability to tackle the challenges of today- like the wall street crash, Iraq, Al Qaida
5. “Yes We Can” appeal that has mobilized hundred’s of voter’s across the nation.
Ancient believers and eastern way of thinking would have the race bent in the direction of the first 2 factors – progeny and astrology, but then again, the current market crash and housing crisis are makings of recent past which no one could have predicted.(in a matter of speaking, at least not the severity).
While the race question is still up for grabs, as is speculated privately in some circles, the fear set in by the recent turn of events, would make people want to turn to maturity, experience and a strong character – like that of John McCain and Sarah Palin, the Maverick team. They stand for optimism and faith in the strength of the American image overseas.
One would need to be cautious of the “yes we can attitude” since the unfinished part of that sentence starts with a “But”….”we might need to make some tough decisions….i.e. once in the White House, all bets can be off and promises might disappear to ‘balance the infamous budget”, especially given the situation we are in today. Besides how are things promised going to be delievered, if the government already has spend an unprecendented amount in the bail outs – where is the money going to come from. I know we are rich, but $700 billion and then some is a large sum by any standards. We need to get out of the situation, where foreign governments are bailing us out.
And finally, before crying “bloody murder” lets not forget, that President Bush has kept America safe since 9-11 and was able to stabilize the current crisis and at the same time restore and maintain calm in the international markets as well, by working together with world leaders.
In the end, I believe that the ‘right’ person will get into the White House and good will be done, since the founding principles of this country are based on “In God we trust”. Which is reflected in the fact that America has been a powerful nation in the world for a very long time.
One final note – the race is always amongst people who stand up and ‘run’ for office and you will never know, if you could make a difference, if you never tried – so if you want to see things changed , you need to take the lead and run.